This guide will explain how to set your DVR/NVR up to notify you when there are motion or analytic events on the cameras. These can be sent to both your phone as a push notification or as an email letting you know when an event has occurred.
What you will need:
- A phone with the Kestrel Viewer app installed. (If using push notifications)
- A valid Email address
Step 1: Enabling Motion Detect/Analytics
First you will need to instruct your DVR to pick up motion events on your cameras and what to do.
- Once the DVR is on, right click on the mouse and select the option for Main Menu.
- On the Main Menu select the Motion Detect/Line Crossing/Intrusion option.
- You will see at the top of the Menu the channel numbers, select the channel that you wish to enable for motion detection. (Please do not select all as this will cause issues later in the setup)
- Select the Enable box for this channel.
- There is an option further down for Trigger Process, this will decide what you want the recorder to do once motion has been seen. You will have the option to send an email or to send a snapshot via email, you must enable one or both.
Step 2: Email Notifications Setup
Now the DVR/NVR is set to recognise motion and to send an email when this is seen, we now need to set where this is going to be sent.
- From the DVR Main Menu select IP and then select the option for Email.
- You will be prompted to enter detail about your email address (these are listed below) once you are finished, hit test to confirm, this should show as successful then hit Apply and OK to complete the process.
- SMTP Server - This will depend on your mail provider i.e. smtp.gmail.com
- Port - This will depend on your mail provider and encryption type, check you’re your provider.
- User Name - The email address you will be using to send emails alerts.
- Password - The password for this email account.
- Sender – This will be the email address again,
- Title - The title of the email that will be received.
- Receiver 1/2/3 - The email address(es) that will be receiving the email, this can be set to be the same as the sender.
- SSL Enable - This will depend on your email provider and will normally be enabled.
Please be aware that your email provider may have security settings in place that will prevent your emails from sending, you should check with them if it fails and you have confirmed all the above information is correct.
Step 3: Push Notification Setup
Now the DVR is set to recognise motion and to send a notification when this is seen, we now need to set the phone up to receive these from the DVR.
- Load up your Kestrel Viewer app on your phone.
- You will then come to the login screen where you will need to sign in with a cloud account, if you do not have one you can select the Register option and sign up for a new account.
- Once you know your account details you can sign in on this page.
- You will then need to add your device to the cloud account, if you are unsure how to do this please refer to the app setup guide for the Kestrel Viewer app.
- Once you have successfully added your device press the icon in the top right hand corner.
- Unlike the local login option, you will now have the option for Alarm.
- Select Alarm and press the Icon.
- Select the DVR you wish to enable and then the camera you wish to set up.
Press enable on the of notifications you wish to receive and press the when done.